7 Reasons Nigerian Students Don’t Complete International Education Scholarship Application Form.
Do you know that more than 9o% of Nigerian students don’t complete international education scholarship application forms. Countless students search for education scholarship all over the world every day and more often than not, they always find one that they qualify for. This is because education scholarship, either local or international is not only merit-based; they are also need-based. Unfortunately however, in case of Nigerian students, they start but don’t complete. This article looks into why this remain a common phenomenon and what can be done to overcome it.
Check this message out sent to a Nigerian student:
“We are conducting a survey, and your response would be appreciated.
Applications for xyz Awards Scholarships opened on 1st September 2016, and closed on 15 December 2016. Our records indicate that during the open application period for the xyz Awards 2018 Scholarships intake, you downloaded an online application form but did not submit by the closing date. We are interested to know why you did not apply, and would appreciate your response to this brief survey that will provide invaluable data to inform future promotional activities”
Education is now expensive and competitive than it used to be in the time past. If you are fortunate enough to receive a scholarship, it always means that there is financial aid available for you to enjoy. It may be total or partial throughout your studies. In other word, where there is scholarship, there it means there is free money to fund your education. For example, if someone receives a scholarship to study at any top university in the world, it implies that the person has, for sure, gained access to money to either study or conduct research. International Education Scholarships is usually funded by governments, Non-Government Organizations (NGOs), research institutions, benevolent individuals, the school itself and so on.
Every year, billions of dollars is invested in education scholarships by these aforementioned organizations. Research shows that Nigerians top the list of scholarship applicants but about 95% of Nigerian students don’t complete international education scholarship application forms they commence. Why is this attitude so common? These are some of the reasons you might find yourself in that situation and how you can tackle them.
1. You are very busy: you may already be at a job or still a student while the opportunity for scholarship application shows up. Because of your busy schedule, the application might look to you like a mountain almost impossible to climb. But this is what you should note, some scholarship are big enough to pay you off better than your present job. Have you tried the calculation? Of course, international education scholarship processes are competitive and it takes the diligent and hardworking student to earn it but much more they are lucrative. A scholarship can provide you with a financial aid worth more than $25,000 (about ₦10million) per year. Putting this into consideration, I encourage you to gather your efforts into completing your application form, even if it means contracting it out to experts.
2. You don’t enjoy writing essays: This is another reason many Nigerian students don’t complete international education scholarship application forms. No doubt, many scholarship applications today come with a specified number of essays, with specified number of words. The topics usually include your personal statement, leadership experience; career stories and the list go on. Sometimes about 4-5 different essays with more than 750 words each. I agree this is not a child play considering the fact that your essay must stand out and would likely be one of the most determining factors. The good news is that not all scholarships requires writing of essays and even when they do, they are strategies that is been used to make the process easy. I will just say that you ensure you don’t allow your fear and insecurity rip you off the wholesome benefits of scholarships. Why shy away from scholarship that requires essays? Instead, make efforts to access resources that will assist you in writing these essays. This might not come free but will eventually worth it at last.
3. Unpreparedness: opportunities comes to the prepared, so the saying goes, many Nigerian students don’t complete international education scholarship application forms because they do not have required documents at hand. International passport, original school certificate, transcripts, recommendations letters and so on are important documents that are almost always requested for during scholarship applications. If you just want to apply for these documents after commencing your scholarship application, you might not meet the deadline. Can you imagine, it took some Nigerian universities more than two months to process transcript and many students has missed admission offers as a result of that.
4. Thoughts of low chance of winning: Nigerian students don’t complete international education scholarship application forms because they lack self-motivation. You need to believe in yourself that you will win or else you will lose focus and abandon the process. Commitment is key! Don’t think it is impossible to win scholarships. Irrespective of your belief or level of persuasion, people still seize several opportunities every day. You need to remain optimistic! Every applicant that applied and became successful did so in good faith. Firstly, check the eligibility. Once you are qualified to apply, go ahead. Frankly speaking, it’s not all the eligible candidates that would be selected due to numerous applications that might have been submitted. However who knows, they might subject the applicants to some other criteria that would fit to the information you submit like a jigsaw puzzle. For example, you might make it through quota system, gender balance, emotions created by your career stories, preference for developing countries and so on.
5. Procrastination: Please beware of this monster! It will whisper to you that you should sign out and continue later, and then later, and later again until the closing date. Nigerian students don’t complete international education scholarship application forms because they always want to do it at a later time. You may justify yourself by claiming that the process is overwhelming and uncertain after all. Your reason may also be that you do not have the time, you are broke, or lack the experience needed to fill the form to taste. Remember that the aftermath of procrastination is that you will still feel badly for not giving it what it takes. More so, if you allow this attitude to accumulate, you will get discourage from filling further application forms altogether. I will advise that you first try to overcome the inertia by struggling to start, then break the whole process into smaller task and allocate time for each. A French proverb says “It is little by little that the bird builds its nest”. Therefore, it is not compulsory or even advisable you complete the form at a go. A step at a time and you will soon reach the “submit” button. Another way a dear friend of mine recommends for killing the force of procrastination is to imagine the end from the beginning. If you meditate enough on the reward that awaits you for completing the process, you will be motivated from within.
6. Past experiences: A very common reason Nigerian students don’t complete international education scholarship application forms are that they have applied for some in the past and were not selected. As a result of this, they don’t want to waste their time on applications that requires too much of writing. Don’t be discouraged still. Scholarship is a game of numbers, the more you apply, the more your chances of winning. After all most scholarship comes with zero or low application fee, so continue to try until you hit it.
7. Wishful thinking devoid of strong desire: We humans have an almost limitless power and influence over our life outcome but the sad news is that we do not know or agree to this. We easily give in at every little defeat and submit to the deceit of fate. You must have seen your friends who don’t give up and eventually get a good scholarship, goals or some other opportunity. If we must be frank, everybody wishes that good thing happen to them but having a strong almost palpable desire for it is another thing. You should think and talk well enough about that the scholarship you desire that actions and steps to take to achieve or win it will suggest itself naturally to you. At one point or the other, each of us should have listened to people who overcome seemingly impossible task and change their life for good. So, remain motivated!
Does this article hit on the point? Please let us know in the comment section and feel free to share with your friends and loved ones. If you have questions or need further help, please do well to contact us TODAY (email@example.com or +234 8031 504 604,), we have an eager and ready team of professionals who are willing to assist in any international education scholarship opportunity you target. Good luck and see you abroad!