7 STEPS TO WINNING INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS AS A NIGERIAN STUDENT
Year by year, millions of students all over the world keep looking out for scholarships to help them fund their international studies. The reason is because it has been discovered that the standard of education in developed countries is much better.
Another factor is the level of advancement and expertise one will be exposed to.
Of course, this is what gives an edge to any successful student amidst his or her local peers in terms of experience and knowledge.
It also allows you as a student to be in a good position to recommend solutions to problems existing in your home country as it relates to your course of study.
Unfortunately, International education has become more expensive over the years back and only very few students can afford it seamlessly. There is however hope for you if you are really interested in getting that scholarship.
All you need to do is take your time to digest this piece .I have revealed seven (7) things you need to take note in order to be a recipient of the scholarship you long for.
1. Ensure you meet up with the qualifications First things first, eligibility is one of the most crucial steps to winning scholarships. There are different categories of scholarships. preference can come by nation, course, school, continent, leadership, history, missions, humanitarian services, age, cumulative grade points, time of the year and so on.
Your due diligence is to first ensure that you meet up with the requirements of the scholarship so that you won’t end up getting stalked in the process. You could write the criteria on a paper and score the ones you are able to meet the requirements. You should also work on the ones you are not qualified for and if it can’t be easily improved upon, try another scholarship application that will up your chances.
2. Apply as quickly as possible: It’s so pathetic that people only look out for deadlines of a particular scholarship. Little do they know that they can as well blow the minds of the scholarship team with their early submission of their application.
With your application being one of the first set to be screened, you are open to a quick positive response and a speedy process.
Applying late will not just likely put you down the list, it will also increase your chances of not being able to submit your application eventually.
Remember that a stitch in time, saves nine. So, do it now! Yes, I mean right now!
3. Prepare your documents: As soon as you know the documents needed to get for your scholarship to be approved, start gathering them.
This could be your transcripts, letter of awards, reference letters, recommendations, leadership awards and so on.
If you need to send them by mail, start scanning them and if you have any that you must write, then write it excellently.
Remember not to apply for scholarships whose documents you don’t have, it won’t work whether you like it or not. so, start facing the reality of what matches you best, and if possible, exceed their expectations in your motivation letters and statement of purpose.
Watch out for what the institution really want to see in your write-up. Then conjure all these facts together in an intriguing way. More importantly, find creative ways to highlight the fortes of your scholarship application.
4. Be error-free: Avoiding errors is one of the important steps to winning international scholarships. in order for you to convince the scholarship team members, your use of English language or whatever language you are asked to use, should be exquisite.
You could read it aloud to yourself line by line to be sure you have not skipped a line or added a repetition. You could also give a previous winner of the scholarship to help you critique it, this will make you open to constructive changes that will definitely increase your chances.
You could also Ask your high school guidance counselors to help you go through your letters, your head of department could help you suggest professional terms that may be looked out for. Also check the libraries and collections for information that might improve your chances.
5. Make the optional fields mandatory for yourself: There are some scholarship requirements that will tell you that “this and this are optional”. Most times, you may be asked to record a video of yourself using with music background.
Listen! It may be optional for those who have a financial alternative, but for you who don’t have a plan B, make all option a must. I repeat, a must! This way, you will exceed their expectations and prove beyond the reasons it will be hard for them to ignore your application.
6. Check the “Frequently Asked Questions” – FAQs: We tend to quickly ignore this part as we browse through websites. However, it cannot be overlooked when considering steps to winning international scholarships. it contains almost all the information you need to know, including what the decision makers are looking out for.
It is usually a compilation of questions people have gathered over time with answers provided to them to satisfy students’ curiosity. Don’t ignore this page if you really want your applications stand out! Read over and over again…concentrate on the sections that explain how applicants will be appraised. Keep coming back to it and cross checking your application if it satisfies every one of those conditions.
7. Emphasize on your intention to give back to your society: Not all scholarships mention this, but even if the scholarship doesn’t involve this part, mention how you’ll bring your experience back home. It may be to help and teach others under your tutelage or to impart your society by creating an innovation.
Mention possible examples of protégés at work or in your society that will benefit from the exposure and experiences you gather from your international studies. This could be in the form of a short note as part of your statement of purpose, a make short video about areas of concern in your home country, or high-quality pictures that describe your focus area.
Also, mention how you wish to be a volunteer for the transformation you will introduce to your home country. You should be expecting a positive remark about your application.
Does this article hit on the point? Please let us know in the comment section and feel free to share with your friends and loved ones. If you have questions or need further help, please do well to contact us TODAY (email@example.com or +234 8031 504 604,) We have an eager and ready team of professionals who are willing to assist in any international education scholarship opportunity you target. Good luck and see you abroad!